Dr. Sylvia Gindy, PsyD
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Tal Gershon, LMHC
Mental Health Counselor
Valerie Graf, LMSW
Licensed Master Social Worker
Flor Villagrán, LMHC
Mental Health Counselor
Adeyemi Aladenika, LMHC
Mental Health Counselor
Couples Therapy & Marriage Counseling in NYC
Romantic relationships aren’t always easy, but they’re also one of the biggest opportunities we have to learn more about ourselves and connect with others in a deep and meaningful manner.
If you’re struggling to keep the peace, feel dissatisfied, feel unheard, or otherwise are concerned about your relationship with your romantic partner, it might be time to seek out a couples therapist to get to the heart of your interpersonal frictions. Even if you aren’t struggling with any blaring issues in your relationship, marriage counseling and couples therapy is still an incredibly useful tool for strengthening your relationship and deepening your bond with your lover.
Navigating the ups and downs of a romantic relationship is rarely a black and white matter, and all relationships include conflict. Whether you’re experiencing conflict, communication breakdowns, or simply feeling consistently disconnected from your partner, it can be difficult to know where to turn for help.
That’s where expert couples therapy services and marriage counseling shine. In New York City, there are countless resources available for individuals and couples seeking support and guidance on their relationship journey.
At our practice, we understand that every relationship is unique and requires an individualized approach to therapy. Our team of experienced therapists is committed to providing empathetic and evidence-based support to help you navigate the challenges of your relationship. Whether you’re seeking to improve communication, build trust, or work through specific issues like infidelity or past trauma, we have the expertise and tools necessary to guide you toward a healthier and happier partnership.
We believe that every person deserves access to high-quality therapy services, regardless of their background or circumstances. That’s why we offer a range of affordable options designed to fit your needs and budget. From traditional in-person sessions, to online video therapy, we make it easy for you to get the support that you need on your own terms.
If you’re ready to take the first step towards building a stronger connection with your partner, we invite you to reach out today for more information about our services. With compassionate guidance from our team of experts, you can create a brighter future for yourself and your loved one.
What is Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling?
Couples therapy is a form of psychotherapy that is designed to help couples navigate the challenges and conflicts that arise in their romantic relationship. It involves meeting with a licensed therapist who specializes in working with couples, either individually or together as a couple. The goals of couples therapy are completely customized to meet your needs with Looking Glass NYC.
However, common goals for couples include:
- Improving communication.
- Help resolving conflict in a healthy manner.
- Strengthening the overall connection between two partners.
During couples therapy sessions, your therapist will work with both partners to identify problematic patterns of behavior or communication that may be contributing to issues within the relationship. This may involve exploring past experiences, identifying triggers for conflict or negative emotions, and developing strategies for managing difficult situations in a healthier way.
One key aspect of couples therapy is learning effective communication skills. Many couples struggle with communication breakdowns that can lead to misunderstandings, hurt feelings, and resentment. A therapist can teach partners how to communicate more effectively by listening actively, expressing themselves clearly and honestly, and working towards mutual understanding.
Another important component of couples therapy is increasing empathy and understanding between partners. By exploring each other’s perspectives and experiences in a safe and supportive environment, couples can develop greater compassion for one another and build stronger bonds.
Ultimately, an overarching goal of couples therapy is to help partners create a stronger foundation for their relationship based on trust, respect, and open communication. Whether you’re struggling with specific issues like infidelity or simply looking to improve your overall connection with your partner, couples therapy can provide valuable support and guidance on your journey towards a healthier relationship.
Relationship Issues That Couples Therapy Can Help
Couples therapy can be an effective tool for addressing a wide range of relationship issues. Whether you’re experiencing conflict, struggling with communication breakdowns, or simply feeling disconnected from your partner, a couples therapist can provide valuable support and guidance to help you navigate these challenges. Here are some common relationship issues that couples therapy can help with:
- Thoughts about leaving the relationship or cheating: If you’re thinking about leaving your relationship or have frequent thoughts about cheating on your partner, it may be helpful to give your relationship another chance with couples therapy. Through working with a therapist, you can learn more about whether you and your partner are truly the right fit, or whether you may need to consider splitting.
- Communication breakdowns: Do you feel like you’re constantly arguing with your partner, or that you’re never heard? Many couples struggle with communication issues that can lead to misunderstandings, hurt feelings, and resentment. A therapist can help partners learn effective communication skills like active listening, expressing themselves clearly and honestly, and working towards mutual understanding.
- Conflict resolution: All relationships experience conflict at some point. However, when conflicts escalate or become more frequent, they can start to erode the foundation of the relationship. A therapist can work with partners to identify problematic patterns of behavior or communication that may be contributing to conflict and develop strategies for managing difficult situations in a healthier way.
- Infidelity: Discovering that your partner has been unfaithful can be devastating for any relationship. A couples therapist can help partners work through the complex emotions associated with infidelity and develop a plan for repairing the damage done to the relationship.
- Trust issues: Trust is an essential component of any healthy relationship. When trust is broken or eroded, it can have serious consequences for the partnership. A therapist can help partners identify underlying trust issues and work towards rebuilding trust through open communication and consistent actions.
- Sexual problems: Sexual difficulties like mismatched libidos, performance anxiety, or difficulty communicating about sexual needs are common in many relationships. A therapist who specializes in sex therapy can provide support and guidance to help partners address these issues in a safe and supportive environment.
- Life transitions: Major life changes like having children, moving to a new city, or starting a new job can put strain on even the strongest relationships. A therapist can provide support during these transitions by helping partners communicate effectively and adjust their expectations as needed.
- Anger problems: Sometimes, one or both partners in a relationship will suffer from the inability to control their anger. Not only is this destructive for relationships, but it can cause trauma and ultimately result in the ending of a romantic relationship if a couple doesn’t work on this matter and find healthier ways to communicate during conflict. Couples therapy (and individual therapy) is an awesome place to start if you or your partner struggle with anger problems.
- External stressors: Sometimes external stressors such as career changes, busy career lives, death of a loved one, and substance abuse can place strain on a relationship. If this happens, couples therapy can help you stay strong, manage your stress, and connect with your partner in the midst of your stress.
- Familial and intergenerational conflict: Familial and intergenerational conflict can have a significant impact on a romantic relationship. When there is tension or unresolved issues between one partner and family members, it can create stress and strain on the relationship. This can be especially true in cases where one partner feels caught in the middle of conflicts between their family and their romantic partner. Additionally, intergenerational differences in values, beliefs, and communication styles can also create misunderstandings and disagreements that spill over into the romantic relationship. If left unaddressed, these conflicts can erode at trust and connection, increase resentment, and ultimately lead to the breakdown of the relationship. It is important for couples to work together to navigate these challenges by setting boundaries with family members when necessary, communicating openly about their needs and concerns, and seeking professional support if needed.
- Differing backgrounds, beliefs, and lifestyles: Differing backgrounds, beliefs, and lifestyles can create significant challenges for romantic relationships. When partners come from vastly different backgrounds, they may have different expectations around things like communication styles, family dynamics, or social norms. These differences can lead to misunderstandings, disagreements, and conflicts that can put a strain on the relationship. Additionally, differing beliefs around important topics such as religion or politics can also create tensions that spill over into the relationship.
Overall, couples therapy is designed to address whatever challenges you’re facing in your relationship by providing personalized support tailored to your unique needs and circumstances. With compassionate guidance from a licensed therapist, you and your partner can create a stronger foundation for your future together.
What Types of Couples Therapy and Marriage Counseling do We Provide?
There are many different types of couples therapy techniques and marriage counseling techniques that can be employed to help couples struggling with relationship issues. Each approach has its own unique strengths and may be more or less effective depending on the specific needs and circumstances of the couple. Here are some common types of couples therapy techniques:
- Emotionally focused therapy (EFT): Emotionally-focused therapy is a therapeutic approach focuses on identifying and changing negative emotional patterns that may be contributing to relationship problems. The therapist works with partners to develop greater emotional awareness, improve communication, and strengthen overall connection.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is a goal-oriented approach that focuses on changing negative thought patterns and behaviors that may be contributing to relationship difficulties. The therapist helps partners identify problematic beliefs or assumptions and develop new strategies for managing difficult situations.
- Narrative Therapy: This technique involves exploring the stories that partners tell themselves about their relationship in order to identify problematic patterns or beliefs. By reframing these stories in a more positive light, couples can create a stronger sense of connection and purpose.
- Solution-Focused Brief Therapy: This approach focuses on identifying solutions rather than dwelling on problems. The therapist helps partners identify their strengths and resources so they can work together towards specific goals.
Remember, there is no one-size-fits-all approach when it comes to couples therapy. A skilled therapist will work with you and your partner to determine which techniques are most appropriate for your unique situation. By committing to the process of counseling or therapy together, you can build a stronger foundation for your future as a couple.
Let’s be Real: Why Should You Hire a Couples Therapist?
Looking Glass NYC’s couple therapists are highly trained and experienced professionals who specialize in helping couples overcome relationship issues and build a stronger foundation for their future together. Here are just a few reasons why it is helpful and worthwhile to hire Looking Glass NYC’s couple therapists for marriage counseling and couples therapy:
- Alleviate your relationship issues: Marriage counseling and couples therapy can be incredibly effective tools for addressing a wide range of relationship issues, including communication breakdowns, trust issues, infidelity, sexual problems, conflict resolution, life transitions, and more. By working with a skilled therapist, you and your partner can develop the skills and strategies needed to overcome these challenges and build a healthier, happier partnership.
- Strengthen your communication tactics: Communication is at the heart of any successful relationship. A therapist can help partners learn effective communication skills like active listening, expressing themselves clearly and honestly, and working towards mutual understanding. These skills can help alleviate misunderstandings or hurt feelings that may be contributing to relationship difficulties.
- Build trust with your partner: Trust is an essential component of any healthy relationship. When trust is broken or eroded, it can have serious consequences for the partnership. A therapist can help partners identify underlying trust issues and work towards rebuilding trust through open communication and consistent actions.
- Develop intimacy with your partner: Intimacy is an important aspect of any romantic partnership. However, many couples struggle with intimacy-related issues like mismatched libidos or difficulty communicating about sexual needs. A therapist who specializes in sex therapy can provide support and guidance to help partners address these issues in a safe and supportive environment.
- Improve your overall quality of life: When relationship issues go unaddressed, they can take a toll on every aspect of our lives – from our mental health to our physical well-being to our professional success. By investing in marriage counseling or couples therapy with Looking Glass NYC’s couple therapists, you’re taking an important step towards improving your overall quality of life as an individual as well as within your partnership.
- Learn more about yourself: Relationship counseling can be an incredibly valuable tool not just for improving your relationship with your partner, but also for gaining a deeper understanding of yourself and your own needs. Our skilled couples therapists can help you identify patterns in your communication style, recognize areas where you may need to work on self-improvement, and develop an overall greater sense of self-awareness. By learning how to communicate more effectively with your partner and developing a greater understanding of your own triggers and emotions, you can build stronger relationships both within and outside of your romantic partnership. Ultimately, the skills and insights gained through relationship counseling can have far-reaching benefits that extend well beyond the boundaries of any one particular relationship.
- Learn how to operate in your relationship if you struggle with mental health conditions: If you have a mental health condition such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, bipolar disorder, or substance use disorder, it is often helpful to help loop your partner into your mental health discussion. Mental health conditions can, unfortunately, put a strain on romantic relationships (and relationships of all kinds), so couples therapy can be an amazing way to help you and your partner in recovering from your mental health condition.
- Help your (or your partner) overcome anger issues: Anger can be a very destructive force in a relationship if one or both partners suffer from anger issues. Therapy – including couples therapy – can help one or both partners work on the way in which they manage their anger. This way, they can keep their anger from infiltrating on the health of their relationship and conflict.
There are countless benefits to hiring Looking Glass NYC’s couple therapists for marriage counseling or couples therapy. Whether you’re experiencing conflict or simply feeling disconnected from your partner, a skilled therapist can provide valuable support and guidance to help you navigate these challenges with greater ease and confidence.
With compassionate guidance from a licensed therapist at Looking Glass NYC, you can create a stronger foundation for your future together as a couple. Make an investment in your relationship and become the super-couple you and your partner have always wanted to be with Looking Glass’s amazing relationship counselors.
Do you have to be married to receive marriage counseling?
No, you do not have to be married to receive marriage counseling. Marriage counseling is a form of therapy that is designed to help couples overcome relationship issues and build stronger partnerships. While it is often associated with married couples, the techniques and strategies used in marriage counseling can be applied to any romantic partnership or long-term relationship. Whether you are dating, engaged, or in a committed non-marital partnership, you can benefit from working with a skilled therapist who specializes in helping couples navigate the challenges of intimate relationships.
Will my marriage counselor “pick sides”?
No, a skilled and ethical marriage counselor will not pick sides in a couple’s therapy session. The goal of marriage counseling is to help both partners work through their issues and find solutions that work for both of them.
A good therapist will remain neutral and unbiased throughout the process, providing a safe space for each partner to express themselves without fear of judgment or favoritism. The role of the therapist is to facilitate communication between partners, help them identify underlying issues, and guide them towards constructive solutions. Ultimately, it is up to the couple to decide how they want to navigate their relationship moving forward.
What should I expect from my first therapy session?
During your first session, your therapist will ask you questions to get to know you and understand your reasons for coming to therapy. Your therapist will want to learn about your history, what’s going on with you now, and learn about what you want to get out of therapy. You’ll also have the opportunity to ask them questions about how therapy works so you know what to expect.
How long will I be in therapy for?
The amount of time therapy takes is different for each person. If you’re dealing with a short-term stressor that you want resolved, that will typically take less time than a problem you’ve been dealing with for a long while. For some, therapy is short-term, taking just a few months until they are satisfied with their progress. For others, therapy will become a part of their routine, helping them manage ongoing concerns in their life and having a safe outlet for them to explore themselves, their patterns, and understand themselves on a deeper level.
Virtual therapy: How does it work?
With the rise in virtual therapy, it makes sense to want to know more about how it works. Research shows that virtual therapy has the same benefits as therapy that takes place face-to-face. Virtual therapy is an effective way to fit therapy into your busy schedule, as it allows you to talk to your therapist in the comfort of your own home. With virtual therapy, you avoid the hurdles that can happen with face-to-face appointments, such as scheduling conflicts, traffic, and travel time. In order to make the most of your virtual session, meet with your therapist in a private space in your home and have a good internet connection.
How do I pick the right therapist for me?
You’ve decided to take that next step and start therapy, and it can feel overwhelming to decide on a therapist. That’s why we offer a complimentary consultation call with a Looking Glass Intake Coordinator to help you make an informed choice. Every therapist has different strengths and styles that they bring to sessions. When you are in the process of selecting a therapist, talk to your coordinator about what you want to get out of therapy so you can rest assured that you are matched with the right person for you. After all, therapy is all about creating a space where you feel comfortable to open up, so finding a therapist that you click with is the first step on your journey!
How do I know if therapy is working?
Starting from your first session, you and your therapist will talk about what you want to get out of therapy. You may come in with a very specific goal or you may use therapy as a space to talk about ongoing events in your life. Regardless of your therapy goals, your therapist will create a comfortable space for you to talk about how therapy is going so you are both on the same page about the process. Ultimately, you will get more out of therapy if you are willing to put more into it. Growth takes place when you are willing to reflect on yourself and take what you are learning during sessions out into the world with you. Below are a few signs of progress that clients typically note:
- You start noticing that your symptoms (anxiety, depression, panic attacks, etc.) are less frequent or intense than before.
- You’re able to function better at work, school, or in your personal relationships.
- You start to find that you have a better understanding of yourself, your feelings, and your behaviors. You’ve gained insights and are making connections that you didn’t make before.
- You might be using new coping skills that you’ve learned in therapy and they’re helping in your daily life.
- People close to you may tell you that they have noticed positive changes.
Do you accept my health insurance?
Looking Glass Psychology is Out-of-Network with health insurances. If you have an Out-of-Network or PPO insurance plan, your insurance will refund a large portion of each session, as long as you have met your Out-of-Network deductible. After each appointment, we’ll supply you with a receipt called a superbill or reimbursement form. To submit for a partial refund, simply log into your health insurance portal to enter the information listed on your superbill. If you have an Out-of-Network plan and have met your Out-of-Network deductible, your health plan will mail the partial refund in the form of a check to your home a few weeks after each appointment. Questions? Email info@LookingGlassNYC.com or chat with us live during business hours by clicking the “Message Us” button on this page.
When can I book an appointment with you?
Your appointment request is our top priority, so we’ll get you on the schedule as soon as possible – no waitlists, and no hassle. Many of our clinicians offer both in-person and video appointments in the early morning, afternoon, late evening, or even weekends. To request an appointment, click the following link: https://lookingglassnyc.clientsecure.me or chat with us live during business hours by texting (646) 350-2202. Prefer a phone call? Contact us today by calling (646) 760-3399.